Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Full Moon Morning Coffee

Well, its a busy day at work and the kids and I rushed out of the house
this morning... Hoorah we were on time!

I didn't have a showy Martin Luther King Jr Day--(and y'all know that's a good thing) but I did have visions of inspiration! Thanks in part to a blog post by minivercheevy.com linking back to Dr King's speech and some thoughts from that white guy. He says,

Go read it right now. It will only take five minutes of your time. With no exaggeration, I think it's your duty as an American --- we have a lot of work left to do.

As I watched the full moon setting in the west out my kitchen-sink window, my thought was of my coffee brewing and how good it would taste. Heck, I thought, why not post a crappy post which will only show it's been a long time since you've written! Yeah! And maybe I could even get criticized for what I say here?

I happened to stumble up this quote from the opening page of "Creating a Life Worth Living" by Carol Lloyd.

"There is a vitality. A life force, a quickening that is translated
through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all
time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will be lost. The
world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it
is. Nor how valuable it is, nor how it compares with other expressions.
It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the
channel open.

You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to
keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate *you*. Keep the
channel open. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is
only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us
marching and makes us more alive."

--Martha Graham to Agnes De Mille


Oops well, he's mostly un-alive (quote: my bad) but his dream has not been lost ...

Reading that I thought of the post I link to above, which mentions that Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was not the featured speaker at that civil rights march in 1963. There were other, at the time more well-known speakers. I thought of the amazing "I Have a Dream" speech--to me such stuff of which Graham speaks--which changed so many things that day. He kept the channel open, he expressed his truth and has impacted the world in marvelous marvelous ways.

I think Martin Luther King, Jr and his famous speech is an inspiration for all, to speak out, to put one foot in front of the other to end racism and all oppressions. I, for one, am grateful to him and wish to God the good ones don't all get taken so early like that!

Blessings to all those who are fighting the good fight and to anyone who doubts they can make a difference, do it anyway.

So I quoted two white people here instead of Dr King and I probably trivialized him ten times over without realizing it AND I'm a white woman who has the nerve to think she can build close long-term friendships across racial lines plus somehow teach other white people how to end their own oppressor patterns. And I'm sure I've left out several obvious reasons why I shouldn't dare call this blog Listening for Change. But ya know? That's okay.

Part of the problem with me is that I have tried to defend myself too much when I should just keep working. Just because this blog is called Listening For Change doesn't obligate me to listen to everyone around me. Dig, it's a tool. Not some kind of hoop I jump through.

So, the moon may be setting but LFC needs to keep marching. At times with self-importance and mostly--so far--without anyone noticing but LFC (my dream) is not dead.

--
Sent from my T-Mobile Sidekick®

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger arrielle_p said...

I think that is a lovely view outside of your window. Great blog you have shared in here.

Philippine properties

12:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf