Thursday, July 20, 2006

My rant here and Erase Racism Carnival III there--is up over at IrrationalPoint. I missed another one? Darn! I am setting a goal to be ready with a post for the August Carnival at Rachel's.

Check it out, puh-lease--I like Kevin's post about the need to shut up already about black folks caucuses. It seems plenty of us white folks get our noses bent out of shape when poc get together and we're not invited. Hello!! WhatEVER! Read Kevin.

I was on KBOO the other night and the whole show was on white privilege and began with a blow by blow outline of how this country's wealth was built on the genocide of Native Americans and the enforced servitude of African human beings. (Nice job Leigh Ann Kranz.)

Would you beleive the first caller was a white woman who apparently could only think about what she has termed "reverse racism". Oh that makes my blood boil. She's got me there because I'm pist!

I'm happy to take that call and nip THAT one in the bud right now! There is no such thing as reverse racism. (And besides, let me see, that is the first thing you can think of in a discussion on genocide and slavery? Hello what is wrong with this picture.)

Anyway, what there is is people who are targeted by oppression. Not reverse racism. You might see a response to being a target lady but you sure as hell don't see racism. You don't know what racism is. (Okay you'll hear my more professional version of a response to her later. Or maybe not, I still need to blow off quite a bit of steam about this CRAP! And I'm seeing more and more of it aimed at Nubian and other anti-racist workers.)

Read the required stuff on allywork. It is laid out for you. Privilege, power and pink skin add up to white racism. Power being the operative word here.

7 Comments:

Blogger RachelsTavern said...

Please do come over!!!! Post I don't have any themes--open for suggestions?

9:10 AM PDT  
Blogger Sea's Blog said...

thx okay I'll put my thinker on. At the moment it's a 100 deegrees in Portland and I'm sipping some Pirate's Kombucha . .. ah, life on the edge.

5:55 PM PDT  
Blogger RachelsTavern said...

I didn't know it got that hot out there. We had that sort of weather last week--it zapped my brain. LOL!! (I don't know what my excuse is the rest of the year.)

8:55 PM PDT  
Blogger Sea's Blog said...

Gosh, I woke up this morning and my first thought besides, what planet am I on was okay, racism and the mental health system. And I immediately thought, "Sea, that's too scary! You'll get creamed trying to talk about that shit!" and so I moved on to weighing myself...

At that point, oh, it could be, now I like this. The intersection of racism and health issues in general. Then if people (me) want to we could write about the mental health system and how it keeps racism in place nicely, thank you very much.

7:34 AM PDT  
Blogger Sea's Blog said...

Rachel, what were you thinking? :-) (ah, the white woman remembers to ask--finally! lol)

7:35 AM PDT  
Blogger RachelsTavern said...

I wasn't think anything really. That's not a bad idea, maybe we could pull together a few suggestions....I'll put up a post at my blog.

8:53 PM PDT  
Blogger RachelsTavern said...

mental health is not a bad idea....

8:53 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf