Saturday, January 28, 2006

One year I assisted some young POC at my kids' school to put on a racism awareness assembly. The next year a teacher (one with some weight) told me that because a "student told her it was racist to observe black history month" they would no longer be observing that. So I put up posters all over the school about black history month anyway. Thinking, wow, I have the honor of being called racist for fighting racism!

This year, after many failed attempts to introduce anything at all, I'm considering not putting up the posters. Because in a way it makes them look good on the surface when they aren't doing f-all to really address it in-house.

On the other hand it provides some message that someone in the school is thinking about the oppression of folks of color. And since the school is largely white that is a miracle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf